Last night Delia had been asleep for about an hour (she goes to bed at 7!), when the dogs started going nuts outside. I stuck my head out the door to see what was wrong, and there was a copperhead coiled up on our patio on the step that goes into our bedroom. I got the dogs inside and proceeded to call Grady at his cigar club screaming "There is a snake coming into the house!!" He said "Then shut the door!" The door was not open, but I did not like that snake even thinking about it.

After it slithered off our bedroom doorstep, it came on over to the kitchen doorstep, where I was leaving screaming messages on a neighbor's answering machine. I took this picture with my phone through the kitchen door. He was looking for a place to hibernate!!
Grady called our neighbor Tom who is an ex-Marine. He came over (cigar in hand) and killed it with his kaiser blade (some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade). Take that, nasty poisonous snake!



4 comments:
Yikes!!!!!!
Tell me when this post is over! I can't read it!
Damn that snake and its voodoo!
OMG!!! way to go neighbor! i'm surprised grady didn't rush home to see it. i thought he loved messing with critters/snakes. :) i hate snakes, too, melissa. so, i would have panicked just like you.
Crazy!!! And I thought the giant spiders here were bad. Amazing sling blade reference.
Post a Comment