First of all, I promise this is not becoming a storm chase blog. However, since I am no longer out with Walker, I cannot rely on his blog to keep my wife updated on my successes and failures. Plus, I am not driving on this trip, so I have some spare time on the roads in the morning.
So, with that being said, yesterday (May 25) was a great day for us. We left Lexington, NE with an initial target of Springfield, CO. We were quite excited about the way all the variables were coming together, and we were certain that a little "High Plains magic" would treat us to at least a picturesque supercell, and hopefully a tornado.Storms fired along the state line southeast of Springfield just as we were reaching Johnson City, KS, so we pulled alongside the best-looking storm and witnessed a great wall cloud quickly form. It produced a nice funnel, but the photo above was as close as it came to producing a tornado.
Within an hour, the initial storms were looking weak and disorganized, and the only hints of redevelopment were on the western sides of the three cells. So, we hopped over into Colorado and started north on a road near the border. Our initial storm eventually started to reintensify as evidenced by the hail streak above. Note, we are looking toward the NNE, so the updraft base was on the western side of the storm despite a northward motion. Weird.
A few minutes later, the storm to the north showed good rotation on radar. So, we ditched our storm and hurried to the north on a great paved county road. We could not believe our luck when we found this road, because most are gravel (or worse) in this part of the world. When we were about 12 miles away from the storm, it started producing land spouts. Almost as cool as the spouts themselves was the fact that we were essentially alone on this paved county road, except for Dr. Howie Bluestein...the person who coined the term "land spout." We played "leap frog" with him and his driver for nearly an hour. The second of four land spouts is pictured above.
We then quickly shot east to try and catch another storm that was supposedly producing a large tornado, but it was dark when we arrived and the circulation was apparently wrapped in rain. Even some long-exposure shots revealed nothing of interest, so we made the short (~20 miles) trip up to WaKeeney, KS ("Christmas City of the High Plains"). A final count of 6 tornadoes made this the most productive chase of the trip.
4 comments:
"First of all, I promise this is not becoming a storm chase blog. However, since I am no longer out with Adam, Kelsey, and Benton, I want to brag about my successes and make Kelsey cry while she sits in her window-less office working on her disser-lame-tion."
Laaaaaaaaame
Good stuff! Gotta love those slow movers! -Walker
I am so jealous.
Poor Kelsey and Adam.....they would call it tornado catching instead of tornado chasing if you were always successful.
People tell me the same thing about hunting (killing) and I usually give them the finger.
---Kirk
Post a Comment